Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: ALT. 1.

" We are just looking at two different B+ supply filter topologies, in the same amp...
Now, answer my question Chris. Which B+ supply filter will sound best? And WHY ??"

Well, if Dave Slagle's approximation for the power supply is a reasonable one, then your preferred filter set-up gives that impedance resonance peak around 45Hz, in the audible range, which I showed in my previous post. The other filter set-up, disfavoured by you, gives this result instead.

Based on the appearance of the two plots, I would probably expect the one you don't like to give a better rendition of the audio signal. I don't think either of them is anything to write home about. But then, if it were me, I'd just use solid-state rectifiers, big capacitors and a small resistor, and avoid most of the LC resonance problems altogether.

Of course, an entirely different question is which one would give the sound that you personally prefer. That is really a psycho-acoustical and psychological question, which I would not attempt to answer.

Chris
(This is a corrected plot. Had a typo in the Mathematica routine before.)

Edits: 01/09/15 01/09/15 01/09/15 01/09/15 01/09/15 01/09/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.