Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

"faithful" is a terribly subjective, undefined term

again,

It relies on some kind of undefined, and subjective vagary. A "good" definition is something that reaches the "essence" of that thing, to the exclusion of all other things.

For example, a chair is an object that is designed for the act of sitting. This excludes any other item/object/concept to that specific thing.

Something like "good sound" cannot be defined in a universal sense, only in individual sense. (The essence of your definition was "good sound" not accuracy)"

No two or two hundred people will ever agree on the "accuracy" of a particular recorded trumpet, (for example), because your definition of accuracy relies on the basis of your hearing/hearing-interpretation of a comparison and/or your unique perception of that trumpet. Which will be different from the player of that trumpet, or of a listener who has had one of their eardrums blown out in that scuba diving accident.

""Is this really simple?""

No, it's incredibly difficult.

""It's not terribly complicated.""

Yes it is incredibly complicated, - In my opinion, you're trying to make it simpler: but it really is not.

""Measurement is not perfect""

That is most correct. And, sometimes what we choose to measure does not necessarily best test the conclusions that we draw from it.

""Measure the analog signal that is being fed to it by the DAC, across every reasonable, measurable parameter you can, then measure the signal coming out of the preamp by the same metrics.""

Of course we'd have to get specific. And.... of course, there would be some measurements that will definitely be different, yet a majority of people could possibly say that they they hear and measure no difference. But that would not mean that the DAC would or the pre-amp would be accurate. You could have a very "inaccurate" sounding DAC and a very inaccurate sounding pre-amp measure very similarly.

""This used to be SOP for manufacturers and reviewers""

Based on the number of reviews that I've read, and I certainly have less experience than some: there has never been, nor will there ever be, a standard SOP amongst reviewers or manufacturers. I know several manufacturers who build as they go, and only write up their schematics after they are done: basically, listening and testing as they go; not knowing the final outcome until they get there.

""Measurement is not perfect.""

I'll say. I never said or implied such. Neither is listening.

""declaring that everything is subjective""

Everything isn't subjective, just the goals and final character, and the means to get there. Whether or not the component in question functions is not subjective.

""I'm not accusing you personally of doing that, by the way, but it happens every day in the audiophile community.""

I understand: but that is also a bit hyperbolic. I mean, most audiophiles are just trying to enjoy the music that they love and feel that they improve that listening experience by getting better equipment that enhances the beauty of the artistic event. This could mean that they purposely are selecting equipment to mitigate the sound of scratchy violins. Two, or three, or four, people might listen to another system next door and say that the former is less "accurate," - yet prefer the system that makes the violins less sibilant.
Yes, maybe these people can be convinced that what most pleases them is not accuracy: but it doesn't reduce their value: they just have different values.
That is the problem, even if we could define accuracy to everyone's satisfaction, - you would still have people seeking out inaccuracy: choosing their view of beauty instead.

You would rather own a system that encompasses your version of accuracy instead of someone's version of beauty: that's great for you. But please don't try to say that your vague and undefined version of accuracy is "better" or "objective" (as it's quite subjective), than someone elses.

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.