Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

GAMUT CD players

You can "measure" and hear what comes out of the analog outs of a GAMUT CDP and I would say that perhaps FEW people would call that accurate. So, - if I measure and listen to what comes out of a Gamut, and into a ARC preamp, and it measures "relatively" the same coming out of the ARC pre-amp it just means that the ARC may be accurate, - not the GAMUT. We can then add a Meitner CDP to the mix and few would probably say that the GAMUT would be more accurate. Or would we? I bet you that the manufacturers of Gamut will tell you that their player is accurate? Who's "right" and who is "wrong."

Yet, how would we "prove" with a definition to exclude all others that the Meitner is more accurate? Could we do it?

""But transparency can be measured and it can be heard.""

No it cannot. Prove it. Not until it's defined. And until then, one person's interpretation of transparency is another's SCRATCHY.

""By contrast, I have put other components, the designs of which are known to color the sound, are even intended to color the sound""

Are you sure about that? Are you sure that it's just not the manufacturer's interpretation of accuracy? Who's vague definition of transparency and accuracy is more right? How do you know that the measurements that the manufacturer is using aren't better or worse than yours or someone elses? Or their perception of the sound?

"even intended to color the sound"

That's at best, a guess on your part. Can you name and quote a manufacturer who "intends" to make inaccurate or colored gear?
What if they're building a CDP player and their reference amplifiers, speakers, cables, are colored very dark, (the equipment that they're using to voice their CDP), would they be producing a CDP that might be considered bright in another system?

""(Often these components are not measured; their designers and proponents don't believe in measurement, imagine that"

Could you be making another assumption here? Isn't that rather insulting of you to insinuate such? Maybe they use different measurements, maybe they feel that some of those measurements, or scopes used, do not accurately reflect what they or their customers here. Maybe their testing equipment isn't capable of measuring certain elements of particular components that are in the product: (capacitors and resistors bleed).

Transparency and accuracy are ABSOLUTELY NOT objective terms.

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.