Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Guess you didn't read my post

I can go back and say it again..... but.... back to work.

The Gamut player is a source.

It sounds much different than an Arcam, it measures much different than an Arcam. You can measure a pre-amp, you can listen to a pre-amp. It can be the same going in and coming out. The SOURCES are so different that you'll get two different sets of measurements coming out of your very "accurate" pre-amp. Then, we an always bring a very in-accurate turntable into the mix.

""Regarding builders who deliberately color the signal, there have been many DACs and preamps advertised to make digital audio sound "more analog." Other audiophile gear adds "warmth," or is "more musical." More "musical" than what? Other manufacturers have talked about how their products have more "PRaT." What do you think these folks are talking about? If their objective was the simple, unaltered reproduction of the recording, if that was even the audiophile's objective, the language would be very different.""

Right, there is no standard. Some manufacturers call these "warmed up" players more analog-like and more accurate. Others say that analog-like is a paltry ambition and that is not accurate.
It just goes to show that there is no definition of accurate, and it's certainly not universally recognized and not objective. Besides, almost all manufacturers try to assert that their product is more accurate: it is the reviewers and consumers who use terms like warmed-up.

""I'm not sure if you're being argumentative or simply naive.""

I'm not sure if you're being argumentative or simply naive. Wait a minute, - you just said that.... :-)

""Can I, or anyone, "prove" that one piece of gear more accurately re-produces the signal it is given than another (ie: is more transparent)?""

If it was a well defined, objective fact: then you would be able to both adequately define "accurate" and you would be able to prove that something was more accurate than something else. You'd be able to make a clear, provable statement along the same lines as: "A Manley Stingray is an tubed integrated amplifier."

""It can only be proven to those who believe in measurement and/or blind listening tests.""

No, an objective fact can be proven: the earth revolves around the sun is an objective fact. The very act of listening by definition eliminates objectivity. This is why no manufacturer would ever be permitted to claim: "I have built the most accurate source, no other source is as accurate," - and have it be universally recognized as such. Halcro states that they have made an amplifier with the lowest amount of distortion: this is probably provable given allowances for those particular measurements that they have made: but they do not claim, nor do people universally support the notion that it is the most accurate: even if the term accurate had an agreed upon definition.

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.