Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Truncated experience?

"There was an AES study that reached the conclusion in the summary that there were no significant differences between high res PCM and DSD, despite the body of the same article pointing out there were a few subjects who could clearly and reliably hear the difference."

The Blech-Yang convention paper is interesting. I will have to read it more closely.

I have pointed out to E-stat the importance of considering the purpose of a test and the appropriate standards. Blech and Yang say that:

"The results showed that hardly any of the subjects could make a reproducible distinction between the two encoding
systems. Hence it may be concluded that no significant differences are audible."

So, from a purely statistical point of view, there is a significant difference, so the authors do not disagree with you on that. They suggest, however, that the 4 Tonmeister students who did obtain significant results using headphones may have been hearing an artifact of the test process rather than a difference between DVD-A and SACD.

However, it would appear that the authors also applied another standard for some other purpose, I presume a practical one.
-----
"A fool and his money are soon parted." --- Thomas Tusser

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.