Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: The challenge with theory

Ole's comments reflect traditional power supply engineering.
I have seen sketchy power supplies in audio before but think about it this way;
If you made test equipment, part of the requirement is that the ac power have minimal or no effect on the measurements OR what your measuring.
If you examine either HP or tektronics test gear from the 80's, that is pretty much what you have.

Now, do you think any of them would have not spent some extra bucks for better /easier compliance, by using a special cord?

Put your self in a hifi mfr's shoes, your interested in the maximum performance possible, you buy parts in huge quantities, would you short on the design of your expensive amplifiers by putting on an inferior AC cord? NO you don't, you use the connectors and hardware that looks like what is expected given the cost.

That leaves the sellers of aftermarket power cables. What motive do they have, what ability to analyze what is needed do they have the original mfr didn't?
I am not saying one can't hear a power cables, but ideally you shouldn't be able to and if so, there is the question of which domain it may be in.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: The challenge with theory - tomservo 10:08:29 06/21/10 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.