Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: "As I recall, the total capacitance was equal to about 4 inches of the least capacitive cable "

“I wasn't referring to the box by itself. That is one of the fallacies of testing. Unsupported assumptions become part of the test. I was referring to measuring a cable by itself and at the other end of the box with the other cables connected. Perfect, crosstalk free switches? No control was done on the systematic changes introduced by the testing arrangement.”

First understand what I am saying;
That in engineering, no one claims wires do nothing, but do claim that what wires do is measurable and follows existing theory and the sum of the effect can be examined by comparing the signals at either end.

Those electrical properties causing the change can be measured like in all other areas of electronics by examining the cable open circuit and closed at the far end with a network analyzer is the norm and that this understanding was key in making our telephone systems work.

That the polarized simplistic situation as presented in modern hifi lore, where there are two camps, the meter readers and golden ears, is one THEY constructed to help sell product.

“to introduce bogus topics like magic rocks to somehow bolster an unsubstantiated process? Sorry, I disagree.”

Perhaps you have not tried to address folklore with science or research before, while the demonstrations using exotic speaker wire were the ones I attended, the idea of saying speaker cables have very very small audible differences, would be more heretical than something more can relate to, like magic rocks, magic knobs, pointy feet and so on.

“They don't know what they don't know - yet preach the outcome as gospel. Is that what you support?”

Nope, you get the results the test gives, the test at best can only answer the question it asked. I don’t write in magazines, I am not selling anything to the home market, I have done R&D in electronics and acoustics most of my life and aside from here, don’t promote “my view” of how it is.
My success has been based in finding new ways to do things, often based on measured results so I deliberately don’t pay much attention to what others do.
My specialty now is in horn loaded speaker systems and passive crossovers but used to be in transducer design.. I have couple patents covering RF electromagnetic levitation, acoustic levitation and a number of new types of loudspeaker transducers horns and speaker systems too.

Background noises;
http://www.google.com/patents?q=Tom+Danley&btnG=Search+Patents

While its true I have nothing to do with hifi marketing other than listening to and building speakers being a hobby / living much of my life, I do have some relevant background in the principals involved and have nothing to gain by trying to “trick you”, nothing you want for sale.
Can that be said for the promoters of the other side of the argument?
Best,
Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.