Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: I'll try again...

"Mote that he did NOT say "sensitivity to cables." He said "susceptibility to external noise." Those two things are hardly the same. One makes sense, the other is nonsense. "

OK. Look, I'm not currently (or voltagely) very knowledgeable about audiophile power cables. I haven't noticed much affect from power cables but haven't looked very hard either so my own experience is a null. However I've read enough on AA to know that there is much concern that they may radiate, receive or reflect noise and RFI both incoming and outgoing. I'm convinced that it's established in the minds of many that cable performance and 'noise' are correlated and so I see no conflict in Don's statements.

One of the things that I believe (and I believe that Don believes) is that in general issues of the power cables affecting equipment performance are best addressed at the equipment end with the exception of perhaps using shielded cables to reduce electrostatic coupling to signal cables.

When it comes right down to it, unless we start measuring what's going on the whole argument is bootless. In some systems power cables may be a factor due to their effect on noise coupling, in others they may be a factor due to their impedance interacting with the rectifiers, in others they may not be a significant factor at all as long as they get the AC to the device.

Stereo systems are SYSTEMS yet at the component level the interfaces are inadequately specified to insure them playing well together. Messing with the cables is unfortunately the main tool available to most users to try and make possibly disparate items into a whole. But they are an especially poor place to work on most power related issues in my book.

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.