Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Paul, please correct me if I'm wrong...

scott wrote:

::::but I think he was still talking about driveing both grids not grounding one.::::

well... since he posted in a thread on the "compact" and made some comments about the trick being getting the impedance in the cathode circuit stiff enough....

and since I talked to him on the phone about this very same subject....

and since he has seen John Tucker's advanced "compact" design...and has heard it...

and has worked with the same recording studio customer of Mr. Tucker's.... alongside Mr. tucker on various projects for this same customer....

me thinks.... his commments were probably meant to apply to or include circuit genus's such as the "compact"...

in other conversations with Paul (IIRC) he places the "compact" within a family of circuits or circuit variants that he would perhaps label "long tail pair"....

::::I'm all in favor of jumping in and building circuits. Audio design is 30% ideas, 30% figuring out your idea, 30% building and tweeking and 10% luck. Sometimes building, tweeking and luck are 90%.::::

interestingly, the more I look around the more examples of this strategy I see.....

for instance, Cary Audio Design..... uses this same "LTP" ... with the grid of the bottom tube grounded and cathodes tied together.... with a current source in the cathode.... in several of their own PP amps.... for the phase inversion.... only diff is that they are doing it at the front door instead of in the output stage... and dennis uses a tube as the current source....

I have a nearly ten year old catalog from P&C Electronics (Japan) that has several PP amps wherein a "LTP" is used in the front end as the phase splitter and then coupled to the output stage.... again cathodes being tied together and the grid of one tube being at ac ground.... with resistor loading in the cathode circuit...

so like Paul Joppa was saying the concept isn't new at all...

the goal or idea here being.... what potential does this circuit have if we study it, refine it, and work with it.... not.... does one instanitation of this concept as presented nearly fifty plus years ago exhaust the universe of possibility and development for this idea...

and whether or not you do this at the front door or in the output stage (invert the phase).... either the phase splitting is a "good" (however we might qualify good) or it isn't... the location isn't critical in and of itself....

::::I have a Heathkit AA151s that I'll try this with. I'd start with the direct coupled Mullard design.::::

I liked your idea of direct coupling the single ended voltage amp to the "compact" output stage that you mentioned on this thread two or three days ago... it sounded like a really neat idea... could you possibly post up your ideas drawn out schematically (even if the schema is has black boxes (unspecified values in it)).

If your able to post attachments.... I would also like to see your proposed Mullard design....

thanks and carry on,

Mike

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Paul, please correct me if I'm wrong... - MQracing 15:27:04 04/13/04 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.