Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: not if you don't refine it...

hi henry

>A pure single-ended amplifier is simpler, and a proper push-pull amplifier has much better balance with hardly any more complexity. I can't speculate on the sound, but technically the "Compact" design is flawed. For simplicity, I think there is a lot to be said for Bas' circuit. And I think Allen's circuit is pretty nice, too, and it offers much better balance -- which seems to be the point of push-pull after all.

i think we are all aware that the limiting factor to a push pull amp's performance is none other than the phase splitter. almost all phase splitters have problems of their own.

the "compact" doesn't have such good phase splitting performance either but the evolved "simple el84" on my website has a much much better performance. and the simplicity of a single ended amp!

there is nothing flawed about this design. i have built it and numerous guys have built it and this amp has been running in my system for more than a year already.

> I can't speculate on the sound, but technically the "Compact" design is flawed.

don't speculate on the sound. don't dismiss the design. build it and listen to it.

all this talk without even listening to one in action (with constant current source at the cathode) is moot.

yeo

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.