Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Sorry???

Not to belabor the issue but..

1. I did want to point out that I'm more-or-less dismissing the original compact amp design, not the basic concept. However, to my way of thinking, it must be implemented with a CCS (more active components) or a good quality inductor (more expense) in the common cathode circuit. In either case the thing then deviates from the raison d’etre of the original design.

2. At a couple of places in your discussion you reference the phase inverter of the MC240 as another implementation of the same basic circuit. If you look at the circuit you'll notice that Mac used an 18K resistor for the common cathode tail (much larger than ~100 ohm) AND unequal plate resistors. The inverter is followed up with a differential amp of sorts and the whole thing is wrapped in lots of global inverse feedback with some local positve and inverse feedback thrown in for good measure. The point is that Mac realized that a simple implementation of a long tailed phase inverter was inherently unbalanced and they took special measures to balance it. Their implementation bears only a passing resemblance to the compact amp (IMO of course).

Has this discussion become too philsophical? Possibly.

Over and Out
Steve

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Sorry??? - Steve O 20:42:58 04/09/04 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.