Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Sorry???

Hi Steve:

you wrote;

::::My conclusion is based on what I built and listened to: the Compact Amp as posted on the Triode Electronics site.::::

one amp on a fifty plus year old design iplementation who had as an explicit goal "low cost" and "ease of building"....

na... before condeming the whole architecture you should really try to optimize the circuit and refine it to squeeze all the goodness out of it you can....

imagine if we had only built single ended amps with the exact same parts, methods and strategies that were used eighty years ago....

remember all the folks who did harebrained clumped together SE amps and then said they sucked?

Or like saying all single full range drivers stink because the 35 inch RS jobbie ya built wasn't so hot.....

ya gotta do more than copycat a fifty year old design without any common sense widely recognized improvements in parts, methods or strategies....

::::The conclusion is not based on an optimized version of the amp or on what a golden eared recording engineer designed and built. I stated this clearly and unambiguously. Regardless, it could be argued that the "optimized" versions are no longer the "Compact Amp" but that's for another day.::::::

it's the architecture the CONCEPT.... not the exact circuit... so all of today's single ended amps aren't REALLY the same thing because they are built differently than specimen's that might have been designed and built eighty years ago?

and... no need for the namecalling.... "golden eared".... as though we should trust your ears moreso (or less or differently) than this fella's ears and aesthetic judgement?

or the OTHER professional who designed and built this evolved compact type architecture for the recording engineer? His experience and aesthetic judgement must also be dismissed?

that's what I find to be so laughable....

::::Bottom line: I stand by my conclusion that as described in the original schematic, the "Compact Amp" is anything but a stunning performer either technically (significant output stage drive imbalance) or sonically (my parts, my speaker my ears, my music).:::::

now try to optimize the circuit... go visit Yeo's website for some good ideas.... get creative... solve problems... refine circuits.... work with something for more than a week and ONE implementation.....

study the phase splitter in the mac 240.... it's comparable to the phase splitter in the compact architecture.....

read Paul Joppa's post above..... this ain't new.... but maybe there are some 'newer' ideas and strategies that could be implemented in this architecture....

MSL

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Sorry??? - MQracing 19:37:08 04/09/04 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.