Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

I must be missing your point...

...because perceive an obvious contradiction. You wrote:

>>I don't know how many times I've read some BS about how a few simple room treatments would be *enormously* more effective than spending money on quality components, and typically from guy who believe most all electronics (forget cables!) sound the same anyway, etc.... ad nausea!<<

...and then:

>>Fortunately given the current bare layout and hardwood floor a good Persian, an upholstered sofa, and maybe a tapestry on a wall should work wonders.<<

Well maybe I get it. Are you saying that both are important?

From my own experience--and theoretically--I've got to say that the idea that cables could address that problem meaningfully seems wrong. After all, those effects--sibilance, ringing--can readily be mapped onto properties that are easily measurable--and addressable by room treatments. Room treatments have obvious, measurable effects in the frequency and time domain. The effects of cables--well, you can make those measurements, too, but you'll get no change (unless at least one set of cables is defective). And I am NOT claiming that all cables sound the same!

There's a lot we don't understand about this stuff--well, anyway, there's a lot that I don't understand. But there's also a lot that we do understand. It'd be foolish not to bring that to the table.

Cheers,
Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.