Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Most of the time they are imperfect because......

the wiring is ancient or incorrect and not up to present day standards. For starters I would recommend some reading on the electrical code for earth grounding under different situations. Many of us who live in urban/suburban areas have the earth ground connected to the incoming water pipe. This makes a very suitable earth ground as the pipes on the incoming side must be conductive/metal, The waste side can be non conductive, to the best of knowldge.
Another thing you can do is go to Home Depot and try to find a two prong outlet, and then ask yourself the following: When was the last ime I saw a computer or microwave oven with a two prong plug? The three prong plug has been around for at least twenty years and it is up to the house owner to bring the property up to present day code.
I urge folks who rent to work with the property owner on this, as I did many years ago.
For an earth ground to be as bad as some people claim; I would suggest that calling in an electrician to verify that your residence is up to present day code.
d.b.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.