Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Charles, regarding a) above, what is your thought that...

The more I think of Charles response to this question, the more disatisfied I become with it.

To answer this question appropriately you need to consider the an electrical circuit in its basic terms, a device with three basic properties Voltage, Current and Resistance. In a system without an active preamplifier e.g a resistor based attenuator, the voltage of the circuit is varied following the time honoured V=IR formula, if you consider the formula, you will notice that there is cost for this, i.e. increased impedance (or resistance). An 'active' preamplifer on the other hand, introduces an active device (transistor or tube, both functionally equivalent in this application) can vary the voltage without a corresponding increase in output resistance, of course there is a price for this of course, the noise floor of the active device is typical higher than that of the typical passive element such as a resistor, but that penalty pales in a comparison to the advantage the active device brings to the table.

So it is not case of "adding favorable colorations to create a more musical sound". It is a case of less is less without an 'active' preamplifier, as the resistor based less so a transformer based attenuation are restricted devices in comparison to 'active' preamplifiers, as their attenuation comes with a stiff penalty, much higher output impedance. And as an aside, I think RFI has very little relevance in this scenario.

Music making the painting, recording it the photograph

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Charles, regarding a) above, what is your thought that... - theaudiohobby 06:31:47 01/23/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.