Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Ok so let's move beyond the abstract and start spelling it out shall we?

I don't think the point is that there is one "best" way to set up a listening room, any more than to say there is one "best" amplifier (or speaker or whatever).

To me the point is that there are known ways to screw things up. For example, putting anything in between the speakers will reduce the image depth and focus. (I know that many people put their equipment rack right there, but a quick listening test will show that this is sub-optimal placement.)

Both JA's and AD's rooms show that they were paying attention to the details, and not making the gross kinds of errors that will screw things up. This is in stark contrast to the picture I originally linked to. In that photo, there were at least a half-dozen obvious faux pas that were screwing up the sound.

My other point is that there are other *invisible* ways that people can be screwing up the sound in their listening rooms. For example, installing a Wi-Fi network in the next room over (or worse yet, in the same room).

Now for the average listener, it doesn't really matter if they are "screwing things up". All that matters is if they enjoy listening to music on their system -- it doesn't matter how they get there. But I think that a reviewer has a different job and should be held to a different standard. If their room is screwing things up, how can they be trusted to make credible judgments on the performance of a piece of audio gear?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.