Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: More on the listening room as an evaluation tool

>>A poor setup can lead to an incorrect conclusion. For details on this please read the post linked below. I was listening in an unoptimized room, and *adding* a connection in the signal path made an apparent improvement. This is, of course impossible, and optimizing the room allowed me to hear this very clearly.<<

I agree. I am not very good at listening to subtleties in strange, unoptimized environments. I have made poor choices in audio purchases because of this effect in the past. I tweak for weeks and months to get a major component upgrade to sound its best in my system. I go into things like changing preamp components that flatter a CD player, for instance.

With this in mind, and because my track record for "gut instinct plus positive other opinions" purchases seems to be about equal with my own evaluations in dealers listening rooms on different equipment I went ahead and bought your CX-7e CD player sight unseen. I didn't see the need to drive far to actually listen to it. This is not a new approach for me. I have done it before, and like I said it works out with about the same effectiveness. This is what makes high-end shopping for me so frustrating. I can never just walk into a store, listen to source components, and figure "this is it, it's the best one."

But I at least can tweak like crazy, and even redesign components that go with them so there is finally system synergy. I am confident the CX-7e will sound great in my system after I am done getting it dialed in. Three dealers I talked to were very enthusiastic about this player. In fact there is such good comments that I think very little tweaking will be necessary on this one. That hasn't been the case on my prior CD players.

In the case of my analog setup, that's an evolution over many years. Every aspect of that chain has been tweaked on, even the step-up transformer core stacking effort. If I move, will I have to do this all over again? Dang, the thought of that.

Kurt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: More on the listening room as an evaluation tool - kurt s 08:23:06 01/18/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.