Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: There needs to be a showdown in the road......

The showdown would not be between two amplifiers.

Shortcomings at one stage of an amplifier can be compensated for in the next stage.

What I'm talking about is the low pass filter created between the output impedance of the driver stage and the Miller capacitance of the output tube.

This low pass filter is real. There is no need for a showdown.

Dennis has already admitted that his amplifier suffers the effects of this filter in the audio band.

I would say the showdown already happened.

Dennis thinks his amplifiers sound good as they are.

"My own experience is that once a certain threshold of information that the human hearing system needs to form a certain sonic picture is reached-- then adding more bandwidth to that threshold produces nothing more of value."

I believe he should take some steps to mitigate this problem.

If he did, I believe he would find that his amps would sound even better to him, assuming his hearing will allow for that.

But this back and forth has never been, for me, about how his amps sound.
That is too subjective. For instance a lot of people think that 1970's Japanese receivers and Bose speakers are great.

This back and forth is about Dennis' amps, that he claims are the best ever built, yet they have at least two real world flaws in their design.

Oh, and his use of junk science to explain it away.

Do you remember the question, "What is feeding the circuit when the diodes are not conducting because the input choke does not meet critical inductance that would keep the diodes conducting in a constant manner"?

The answers were always full of junk science and the question was never really answered. BTW The answer is....the last cap in the filter.

That is the opposite of the stated goal of his power supply design.

Tre'
Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

Edits: 06/24/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.