Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Sound Practices Information.....

I neglected to mention something very important in this kind of amp-- it's critical.

When you're running a High-Mu, low current device as a driver-- that item must have unlimited plate power available, and it must have very tight voltage regulation.

If you attach a constant-current device-- either to the plate or the cathode of the driver stage, the performance should degrade because of the added phase problems initiated by the Band-Aid thus applied.

If, instead, the sound improves, and the amp has more power with the C/C applied, then that is proof of a power supply problem on the driver's plate supply.

The supply should have very tight voltage regulation-- you can't do this with any regulating device-- it will fail to closely enough follow music's changes. Instead, you use resistors for shunt-regulation. Ideally, you can run up to 40 ma., to ground, and use only 8 tenths of a milliamp of that for the driver plate current-- maybe slightly more-- one milliamp with a single section of 12AX7A-- which is recommended because so many excellent varieties are available today.

Sorry I neglected to mention this. If you've had problems, look here.

---Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Sound Practices Information..... - tube wrangler 21:08:43 06/28/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.