Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: When you get set up let us know how it sounds and works. Nt

Hi PAR,

PAR "Well if they had a digital input then that could only feed an onboard DAC so you would be back where you started in a manner of speaking."

You know, I have been pondering this the last few days. Why would a digital to analog converter have digital outputs? It's contradictory. However, I then considered that maybe (due to digital's rise) DACs had evolved beyond their original purpose, and that some might have the ability to clean the signal and output in digital as well. A hybrid DAC if you will.

PAR "Putting speakers into a corner is one of the the worst places acoustically. Even worse with a rear ported speaker like your Dynaudios. You are almost guaranteeing boomy bass, especially in a square room."

Damn, I just installed new corner shelves for the speakers. However, I absolutely do not want boomy bass. Unfortunately, due to the small room size, placement of my and my wife's desks, our 60" flat panel TV, and the fact that I have three 27" displays on my desk, I am pretty much forced to place them in the corners. The speakers do have a setting that can be chosen to adjust for placing them in corners. Hopefully this is effective. If not, I'll have to get creative.

PAR "Try as hard as you can to just move then in from the corners even if it is only a small amount that you can manage."

The shelves are large enough that I have some wiggle room with speaker placement. I'll post pics when I have the speakers on them.

PAR "For height you should try to get the tweeters roughly at ear level."

I did manage to get this right.

PAR "You will also find that how you angle the speakers towards your seat (this is called toe-in) will alter the sound particularly the illusion of depth."

I did read that you want the listener and the two speakers to form an equilateral triangle. Again, however, and unfortunately, not possible when I'm sitting at my desk (very wide-based and squat triangle). My reading chair, however, does come very close to forming the correct triangle configuration.

PAR "You may also be about to find that the cables you use also have an effect. Best not to go there this weekend :-)"

Cabled have been on my mind. I'm wondering if the speakers will ship with cables, and if so, will they be long enough and of good quality. Thinking I will end up buying some high-quality XLR cables.

PAR "Just one passing comment: there is currently some difficulty being experienced by Win 10 users with Bluetooth streaming. I thought it worth mentioning if you are a user of this OS and find that you can't get it to work. It is a known problem. Maybe MS have fixed it by now as there have been quite a few Win 10 updates recently."

This is a concern. Thank you for the head's up. I also read in a Crutchfield user review that the DacMagic only streams Bluetooth from the headphone jack - a deal breaker if true. I am hoping this was a one-off occurrence, and if not, has been successfully addressed.

As usual, thank you for the wealth of great information PAR. Again, I'll post pics of the setup when the speakers arrive.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: When you get set up let us know how it sounds and works. Nt - Kody 11:47:45 09/24/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.