Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Please Help Build My PC System

I agree with Roseval that you should consider powered speakers (active or just powered.)

I'd add Audioengine A5+ and HD6 to the list of speaker posibilities. I've used A5s for a PC audio setup for 9 years and still like them.

Also Emotiva Airmotiv speakers. The Stealth 8s might be a bit much if you are in a small room.

There are lots of well reviewed pro audio speakers. The JBL LSR 305 and 308 are bargains.Some have unbalanced RCA phono inputs but many do not. You may need an unbalanced to balanced adapter cable.

Elac has said that they are coming out with a powered version of the Uni-Fi speakers. A price of $ 750/pair has been mentioned.

Check to see whether your PC has SPDIF outputs - optical or coax. Very few recent laptops have them and not many recent desktops do either.

Having a DAC in the speakers does simplify things but it narrows your choices. For me, an Audioquest Dragonfly Red takes up little space and sounds fine in my desktop system.

You got advice to go with separate DAC, amp, speakers and subwoofer. You should be clear on what you want: powered speakers get the job done with few boxes and once you get them set up, you can leave them along and enjoy the sound for years without hassle. If you want to try new components every year or two, separate components are right for you.

my blog: http://carsmusicandnature.blogspot.com/

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Please Help Build My PC System - Old Listener 10:29:23 09/22/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.