Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: J River

jazz1, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

First let's investigate the missing music files (from CDs).

1. Identify a few CDs that you expected to see and didn't see in the Artist/Album view. Note one or two relatively unique words in the titles of the CDs and in individual tracks.

2. In Windows Explorer note the drive letter of the external drive where your music files are placed. (It should be in the left pane under Computer after drives A-D.)

3. In Windows explorer, display the contents of the base folder in which your music files are stored. For example, f:\music.

3. Now type one of those words from the CD titles in the search box at the top right corner of the Explorer window.

You should see a folder and perhaps some files whose name contains the word you searched for.

You can lick on the folder name to display the contents of the folder that was found.

4. Display the contents of the base folder again. Delete the word in the search box and type in one of the words you noted for missing files.

You should see a list of files whose names contain the word you searched for.

I expect that this will show you that folders and files you thought to be missing are still on your hard drive.

--- missing cover art

Now we'll look for missing cover art.

1. Identify one or more CDs for which cover art is missing in the Artist/Album view. Pick examples for which you know what the cover art looks like.

2. In the same Windows Explorer you used earlier, display the base folder again if you aren't already there.

3. type folder.jpg in the search box.

4. There are three controls just below the search box. Click on the down arrow just to the right of the leftmost control. Choose "Large icons" from the list that drops down.

You should see a number of files all named folder.jpg with a small image displayed for each file. Look for an image that matches the cover art that you noticed to be missing in the JRiver view.

This exercise may verify that art you thought to be missing is still present.

There is more than one way that dBpoweramp may have stored cover art. This exercise looks for cover art for a CD in files named folder.jpg stored in the folder with the music files. dBpoweramp may have stored the cover art images in the music files themselves. If necessary, I'll give you an exercise for finding cover art stored in in the music files.

You were concerned that music files from your CDs and cover art were no longer on your computer. These exercises should reassure you that the information is still on your hard drive. The exercises also give you some tools for investigating similar situations in the future. Finally, they give me some information to specify next steps.

Do the exercises and report back and we'll make more progress.

my blog: http://carsmusicandnature.blogspot.com/

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.