Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: J River path

I have suggested that the drive letter that Windows assigns to your removable drives may have been different in some point in the past. That may have caused some of your problems.

Whether or not it was a cause of your problems, you should assign a permanent drive letter to the removable drive that contains the copy of your music files that you use. (Call it your music drive.)

1. Turn your laptop off. Disconnect the backup drive from the laptop and disconnect any USB thumb drives as well. The music drive should be the only one connected.

2. Turn on your laptop. After it finishes booting up, look under computer Windows Explorer and be sure that the music drive is listed.

4. Right-Click on "Computer" and choose "manage". On the left side of the Computer Management window, click on "Disk Management" under Storage.

5. Under the Volume column heading, find the music drive. Right click on that drive and choose "Change drive letter...".

6. In the dialog window that appears, click on the button labeled "Change". Another window then appears with a drop down list of drive letters to the right of the "Assign the following..." text. Click on that radio button and then choose the drive letter you want to be permanently assigned to the drive. (It will be somewhat simpler if you choose the drive letter that JRiver thinks the music files are on. F: I think.)

7. Click on the OK button of each dialog window so that your change is accepted.

Now every time you start your laptop, your music drive will have the same drive letter.

I've included a screenshot showing several of the dialog windows.
my blog: http://carsmusicandnature.blogspot.com/

Edits: 03/24/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: J River path - Old Listener 16:27:36 03/24/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.