Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: I am hating the single driver sound. What am I doing wrong?

Well, without knowing what speakers you have (though I understand your reasons for not divulging that info), it's hard to say for sure why you're getting sub-optimal results. Not all full-range speakers are created equal (by a long shot), and different remedies could apply to different manufacturer's products. What follows generally applies to most 'famous maker' full-rangers.

Bass reflex enclosures could be a big part of it. Many, if not most, full-rangers are optimized for some sort of horn loading, especially in the bass. You might check with the driver's manufacturer regarding recommended enclosures. Note that the manufacturer may be a different entity than the retailer (who may have their own recommendations). I'd start with the manufacturer's recommendations.

The screamin' midrange is a bit of a signature of some brands of full-rangers, though, with care, this can be tamed. It takes dedication and suffering, but it's not impossible as some would have you believe. Damping the enclosure to eliminate the back wave from bouncing back through the (usually very thin) cone is a good start. Tube operating points and amplifier component tweaking is another possibly rewarding approach. There are others.

Some full-rangers are unusually picky about amplifier matching and room set up. Even amplifiers that sound great with other speakers can sound dreadful with some full-range speakers. There's a synergy in getting it right that doesn't always come easy. Same goes for source components, BTW. This type of speaker rarely takes kindly to 'usual' room placement, also.

Break-in. Some full range speakers can take YEARS to break in properly. I have two pair of a famous brand of English-made full range speakers that are on the order of 50 years old. They're broken in, no doubt, but when left idle for too long (even a few days), they need some time to settle down.

Expectations. Full-range drivers are not the perfect speaker. Nothing is. There isn't one. Full-rangers, when properly implemented, can do some things that other speakers only wish they could do. But they can't do everything. Aligning one's expectations with the capabilities of the speaker is key. If you're looking for rock concert listening levels with room shaking bass, better look elsewhere. If you're looking for moderate volume, super high definition, breathy realistic, spooky 'you are there' listening, it can be had with SOME full rangers.

It would be unfair to lump all full range speakers in the same group, BTW. Many are awful, and you may have some of those. Most are severely limited and only tolerable. You may have those. But the best are magical.

BTW, I am not a single driver religion fanatic or anything. I have pairs of full rangers (full disclosure: mine are Western Electric 755A and Lowther PM6A and PM7A. All in factory-recommended cabinets, and all old production), but I also keep other speakers around, including QUAD ESL, RCA LC-1A, and Lansing Iconic 2-way. The full-rangers are one flavor. Not perfect for everything, but if they fall down on a particular night and recording, I move to something else.

I am totally sympathetic to those who have, upon hearing full range speakers, think them awful. The first pair I heard, I thought the owner must have been deaf or stupid--they were that bad. The next pair I hear weren't much better. Most of the implementations I've heard at audio shows (RMAF) were on a scale from intolerable to barely tolerable. Believe me, I get it. But lucky for me, I was treated to a good system (make that a great system) built around full range drivers. Once you hear what they can do, it's hard to let them go.

My wife has made me promise to never sell either the Lowthers or the QUADS. She loves them both.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I am hating the single driver sound. What am I doing wrong? - gilmorneau 20:23:58 12/15/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.