Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: I am hating the single driver sound. What am I doing wrong?

In my opinion "full rangers" do have a sound.

Specifically coloration of the mid to high frequency tones from the large direct radiator.

Once the width of the driver exceeds the wavelength of the frequency played it becomes more apparent.

Rather then working as a silent pump, the sharper leading edge of the high frequency waveforms are audible and heard as coloration.

Similar to striking a drum, a sharp attack leads to a response determined by the diameter, materials and tension, both internal and affixed around the circumference of the cone/drum skin.

This drum effect may be what Tomservo is referring to when they say they hear a localized sound.

Take that same drum or speaker and instead of striking the skin, push the skin with the stick. It is now silent. This push would be representative of a 1-3Hz half cycle burst. Despite being lower then most cabinets or drums are tuned to, you get the point.

This also explains the range of different tweeter sounds heard.
Despite being similar and fairly ideal in size, radically different compositions make some tweeters more acoustically inert then others.
This explains the the preference some have for silk dome tweeters vs a Piezo for example.

Cheers.

△This message will self destruct in 10 seconds△

Edits: 12/18/14 12/18/14 12/18/14 12/18/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I am hating the single driver sound. What am I doing wrong? - Garg0yle 08:36:36 12/18/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.