Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: I am hating the single driver sound. What am I doing wrong?

Scott I never took your comments as a personal disparage of my system. I just get upset when some of the clowns here (not you) and elsewhere talk in absolutes i.e., "single broadband drivers sound terrible" when most of these people have heard only a couple broadband drivers and often times it's a cheap broadband driver used in an enclosure that isn't even correct for the driver selected! I'll readily grant that using a speaker with a broadband driver isn't like purchasing your typical 2-way or 3-way commercial speaker! It takes time and dedication to get the very best sound from them, but almost all the great sounding speakers require that same dedication to elicit the very best sound from them as well. I've been 100% truthful here from the beginning. A pair of Sachiko DBLHs with the Dayton PS220-8, with the cone treatment applied and installed properly, will easily provide a frequency response of 40Hz to 13Khz.

Now as I stated before although many if not most of my audio friends felt it wasn't needed. I added a pair of Fostex T900a super-tweeters to extend the response to 38Khz. I also have a pair of 15", OB, Hawthorne Audio, Augie speakers that I might play with in the future. But I honestly believe I'll either used tapped horns ---{this is to keep the same quickness in the low-end of 25Hz to 100Hz that the Sachikos provide}--- or else I'll use the DIY Bucket Sub by Ed Schilling of The Horn Shoppe that's on Transcendent Sound's website at the link below! I could use the Sachiko/PS220-8 combo "as-is" 99% of the time, but every so often I want the bite of a super-tweeter and even less often I'd like to feel some really deep bass! To my way of thinking if you can disconnect the tweeter and woofer and the speaker still provides a performance you can enjoy and live with, then that's about as broadband a speaker as one could ever hope for. I'll end with this; I've never heard a person with a 3-way speaker and a super-tweeter and subwoofer refer to their speakers as 5-ways. So why do they insist when a person who uses a broadband driver adds a super-tweeter and subwoofer their speakers, those are now 3-ways?

I hope you visit sometime Scott we'll have a great time and you can tell people here what you honestly thought about the sound quality you heard here!

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society
Full-range/Wide-range Drivers --- Front & Back-Loaded Horns --- High Sensitivity Speakers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.