Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: I am hating the single driver sound. What am I doing wrong?

That is the exact words we used at a listening session with a local club when listening to Terry Cain speakers. We literally said it sounds like a bad clock radio. And I am not trying to be combative or crap on someone's sweetheart, but I/we were at a loss how anyone could think that was good and realistic sounding.

I am not crapping on all single drivers mind you. I've heard Lowther's briefly at Dave Slagle's old studio in midtown, but that was very brief and it didn't sound bad, but didn't grab me either.

I heard some Fertin field coil drivers on an OB at Nate's place supported with two 15" woofers on the OB, so not single driver only, but those sounded glorious until very busy or complex music was played.

I have a pair of Planet Hifi's "Mar-Ken10.2 in stained medium stained Cherry over baltic birch with Alpair 10.2eN". I bought them for my dining room when entertaining guests and to have another pair of speakers to test amps and such on. I think they sound quite tonally balanced, which I am more sensitive to likely than most other audiophile virtues. They are missing the first octave and the shimmery highs, but that is the appropriate tradeoff of extremes to get the overall balance right while being coherent with no particular offenses. They aren't high efficiency and can't play super loud, but quite loud enough in my largish apartment.

I still think crossovers bring more to the table than then mess up but they need to be exacted well, not just some simple first order xo slapped on your driver using some online calculator. You actually have to measure and understand what you are doing.

----------------
"When Khruschev said "we will bury you" I don't think he meant with surplus parts." zacster

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.