Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Bit far from you.and

Hello again Jusbe!

Well obviously if the OP was attempting to get a broadband driver or wide-range driver ---{which is a much more correct description than fullrange driver}--- to sound good in a small enclosure that was his first mistake and I told him that when I posted: people who complain about how poorly wide-range drivers sound have NOT heard a quality wide-range driver setup properly in the correct enclosure for the driver chosen!

My friend uses two pairs of Hedlund horns. One pair runs a pair of Lowther DX4 fullrange and the other pair runs a pair of Fostex SLE20W, alnico, edgeless woofers that were also used as woofers in Fostex's own GZ1001 ribbon speakers, as pseudo-subwoofers or helper woofers if you prefer! These Hedlunds sound very good indeed and were the actual catalyst that prompted me to try my hand with broadband drivers. But as good as those Hedlund/Lowthers sound they don't hold a candle to the Sachiko/Dayton combo.

I envy your owning a pair of Fertin field coils drivers. I've heard a lot of great things about them. I had never heard those Isophon Orchesters, that you own, but they look very interesting. If you have them in the original cabinets they came in you're way ahead of the game because you won't have to research locating the correct type of cabinet and then the correct size of that type of cabinet for the Isophon Orchesters drivers! I'm amazed you can let them sit around and not use them. I wouldn't have that level of restraint!

I agree with your assessment that using broadband drivers requires dedication to get it just right. I think a lot of what passes as being wide-range drivers are IMHO actually just midrange drivers with a larger than average frequency range. As much as I enjoyed the sound of my original Sachiko/Fostex FE206e combination had I not continued tweaking with types of stuffing materials, amount of those stuffing materials behind the driver, different broadband drivers and cone treatments, I would never have ended up with the type of stuffing, the amount of stuffing, the Dayton PS220-8 drivers and the cone treatment I use today. Although many of the correct tweaks for the Sachiko cabinets were discovered within the first 18 months of my present 8 year journey down the broadband driver path of audio. Discovering the best sounding driver & cone treatment for the Sachikos took traveling almost 6.5 to 7 years down that same path. Had I not had the dedication and determination to get it right as you said, I would have never taken the sound quality up to the level it's at now!

I'm genuinely sorry I'm so far from you, but if you ever visit Orlando for a vacation, send me an email and I'll have you over! I think you are one of the ones who'd really enjoy what you'd hear...

I'm listening to: Polosur by Marcelo Aedo

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society
Full-range/Wide-range Drivers --- Front & Back-Loaded Horns --- High Sensitivity Speakers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Bit far from you.and - thetubeguy1954 14:08:13 12/20/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.