Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: La Scala

Don't sweat starting from scratch. If you buy LS's you'll be starting from scratch. Please bear in mind $2K gets you a starter fully horn loaded system, and they all have compromises.

I'm giving you these recommendations based on your room size, your budget, and your skill level. I will try to think of one that meets your budget, but the ones I like at a minimum blow your budget some.

At a minimum with the LS. You would have to buy a pair of better mid horns with a 15/16" throat, okay 1" with an adapter. Minimum of $700. That's $2,400 and blows your budget. At least you would already have a Crites crossover. BTW, not a bad system. In fact, a good system, but I can do better that that. It does have the advantage of being a three-way system.

Let's start with a plug and play; The Yorkville U15 or U215. A Danley Unity style horn system. Has a built-in passive, that can also be switched to an active two way system. I looked for the pictures of the crossover network that used to be posted on the web, but it is gone. That is the most over-engineered, high part count, crossover I have ever seen. You would need your PP amps to power that darn thing.

A digression into passive vs active; If you buy and use an ALK passive crossover then you will have the option, no the requirement, to adjust the gain of the mid driver and the tweeter driver. This passive xover will be living in the top cab of your LS. It is a dark, cramped, dusty, unhappy place. You will be inserting one arm, one shoulder, and your head into this unhappy place to adjust your settings. Conversly, you could have gain knobs on the front of your component rack, and twiddle away. Which sounds easier to you? BTW, Marchand is running a special on a two way FET xover for $550. That's cheaper than the crappiest Chinese tube amp on the planet. Heck Marchand publishes all his schematics, build one. His PPXLO too. The software to calculate the values is free. One more thing, two amps is a ton of amps? Add a sub, and you going up the three amps. The do start to add up! :)

Cheapest new price for the YV Unity horns is $2,200 for the pair. Just over you budget. Putting the Unity horn on top of a LS bin, and not using it's woofer would kick ass I bet. See, that would be $3,900.

Okay, how about a couple fun ones from scratch?

An Inlow sound unfinished 100hz straight mid/bass horn for $500 a piece. You add a B&C 12PE32, and fill the holes, sand it, and finish it.
Any number of candidates for nice mid horns that go to 500hz, and lots of drivers too. That would be an extended discussion, and I have my favorites. Call it $700 for the horns, and $550 for the drivers. That's $2,250.

Another option, PPSL bass bins. Probably 10" but maybe 12". Please check out Wavebox by Les Hudson. Maybe $1,200 to $1,600 per pair? I know the price for the 12" is $800. Same tweet as above, so call it $2,450 to 2,850. This option would have a very wide bandwidth, and you could forgo a subwoofer or two, so factor that into the price.

Two way horn systems are a compromise, and you pay a sonic penalty for them, but they are an acceptable starter system. If you have a fear of analog EQ, then you might want to loose that too. For the two-ways, a second order BW passive crossover would be simple to design, build, or buy.

That's all I got!

Jamie

Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: La Scala - Mr_Steady 11:32:25 12/05/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.