Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: La Scala

Max,

No, they are not bad. They are freaking awesome! Once you hear and have a front loaded mid/bass horn, you will never want to go back to anything else.

Yes, with a few upgrades to the LS, you could have a bad-ass horn system, but you have a nice big room. A long room. For the same money you could have a no-compromise horn system. Why not?

I say, let me draw out the system I would build if I had your room, and I was starting fresh. You may find it interesting.

If you buy the LS or any horn system you will go down the modification path. I don't see anyway around it. Except maybe buy a $100K Avantgarde system, and then they aren't worth it. If you play with horns, you will go active. Passive xovers work best with direct radiators, that's why people don't want to leave them. It's all they know. Horns are different. And to my mind a hybrid three way of spliting the low/mids with active and the mids/highs by passive is a really great solution, but not the best. It cerainly is easy to do. ALK makes two way high level xovers that are made to accept a signal from an active unit.

Hope this helps,

Jamie

Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: La Scala - Mr_Steady 19:35:40 12/04/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.