Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: La Scala

Max,

I council patience.

If you buy a LS you will junk everything but the bass bin, that includes the Crites crossovers, which aren't so much an improvement, as just not old and dried up. Any folded W horn will work. Keep an eye out for the Peavey FH-1. You have the room, and they are better and cheaper.

If you make the wrong decision with horns, then you are not only stuck with an expensive mistake, you are also stuck with a large, heavy mistake as well.

We could sit down on this forum and sketch out many horn systems before you ever spend a dollar. I have used the LS bins as the basis of four different 2 and 3 way horn sytstems, and I am working on my fifth.

This doesn't even take into account straight front loaded mid/bass horns, down-firing m/b horns, J horns, or PPSLs.

I'd say a top-notch 3 way horn system is a minimum of $3,500 US, and that's with getting the LS bins cheap.

To tide you over, I suggest beginning by bi-amping your Tannoy S6. Put your PP on the bass driver, and the SET on the tweeter.

Don't take cash with you when you go look at the LS. Look, listen, and think.

BTW, the first amp I used on my stock LS was a 30 watt PSE-UL KT88. That's before I knew what 30 watts would do on 104db speakers. I put on an Al Hurt album. It sounded like that trumpet was blowing in my living room, and I don't mean that in a good way. It chased me out of the room!

I'll give you one closing thought:

To paraphrase Winston Spencer Churchill, "Horn speakers are the worst speakers in the world, except for everything else."

Jamie

Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.