Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Art Dudley - Listening, Nov. 2014

People typically are dominant (never did I say absolutely) in one hemisphere. What I did say is and will say it more clearly now is that listening to music engages one brain hemisphere while test taking engages the other. Which is why the field of education (albeit not necessarily governments with agendas) has moved away from basing student results nearly entirely on test results. We know that it is not necessarily the best way to judge someone's intelligence or ability (other than their ability to retain information and their ability to take tests).

I grant you I have not taken university psychology in 10 years but I doubt there has been much change to results showing in brain scans of people listening to music versus solving problems and seeing different regions of the brain lighting up in these different tasks. Listening to music and solving logic problems such or math or taking tests rely on different areas of the brain.

Some people are not particularly dominant in either hemisphere (well balanced) and are "even-handed" in both hemispheres - I wonder how many AES engineers when they conduct their DBT ABX tests first did a brain scan of the participants to ensure that they only selected people who were "even handed" across both hemispheres AND made sure that the person could do both tasks of listening to music and being under test stress and NOT have either hemisphere influence the other in any way shape or form. Most of the tests I've seen are strikingly LAZY - especially the ones done at Harman International and if they're LAZY with their billions of dollars then I don't hold much hope for most of the others. Granted they have speakers to sell ya - so whatever way they can design a test to flog their stuff they'll do it and gloss over proper testing. You know like testing TWO loudspeakers in an environment that resembles what 100% of stereo buyers would have. Nope. Put one speaker of a stereo pair middle of room and pre-train people what to listen for and then conclude that their speaker beats 10 times the price panels. Eesh.

Independent psychologists (not bought and paid for by manufacturers) should be the people conducting these audio tests - not engineers with no grasp or expertise on perception/brain/audio/test stress factors.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.