Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Art Dudley - Listening, Nov. 2014

The biggest issues I face in the classroom everyday do not come from students with I.E.P.s, but from reg ed students who fail to follow directions, will not put their cell phones away and when sent to the office are sent right back, who cannot stop talking while the lesson is being presented, who have no idea how to properly act in a group setting, and who have a lack of respect for the educational process.

These are learned behaviors from their previous years in American public ed where they have all been "socially promoted" with little if any mastery of educational content from K-8. This social promotion stops at our high school and what they learn is that their previous accepted behavior does not work and they are not socially promoted in our school. Teachers still control the grade book. They can get away with acting out, go spend a day or 2 in in-school suspension and not disrupt my class, and then decide if they at the least want to become "invisible" and not disrupt others from their learning experience.

I am a part of an after school tutoring program at 2 of our middle schools where I selfishly am trying to better prepare some of them with basic skills work prior to them coming to my school. In one school the behavior of 6th and 7th graders is so awful there is little hope. The other school is night and day different where the kids appreciate my coming, work hard, listen to what I say, and we work together to make some progress. I only have to redirect once and they are back on task. The other school is like talking to the wall.

It is a sad day in public ed I'm afraid and I hope many others have a totally different experience. What we are learning about all too many "millenials" is that in their mind it is "all about them".
Jim Tavegia

Edits: 11/20/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Art Dudley - Listening, Nov. 2014 - jamestavegia@gmail.com 22:38:13 11/20/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.