Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Art Dudley - Listening, Nov. 2014

Actually Sometimes I wish I had a mind like yours where everything is

Integration Good

Or

Integration Bad

And never consider any other aspects or implications. I so wish I didn't consider that various topics could actually be a gray area where one must consider idealism versus practicality.

Address a specific issue - I have training (not expertise) in special needs because it is a requirement to graduate as a teacher in BC.

Education systems around the world may have different lingo to mean the same things.

Incidentally, I turned down teaching positions in the U.S.

My view of Integration is shared by a great many. I have no issue with learning/physical needs. A kid is dyslexic - no problem - adaptations can be made. Kid is in a wheelchair - no problem adaptations can be made. Kid is autistic - not necessarily a problem - time out cards, red/yellow counters, determining the triggers, repetition of instructions, etc can be implemented.

I have issue with behavioral needs that affect the learning and safety of others that go WAY beyond the reasonableness of why integration was supposedly brought into existence. Regular students benefit from being empathetic to differences and special needs kids get to feel that they are not ostracized by society. Hey - no problem for me. I've had classes were up to 10/25 were special needs (designated or not).

Psychopaths on the other hand should be held in a different school. Special needs that SHOULD require an EXPERT Special Needs teacher should have said expert in the classroom at virtually all times. That is proper funding.

You seem to be fine with the whole class losing lessons continuously to cater to one individual - I am not. And the example I provided with the kid spazzing and taking out lessons - well the class teacher was from San Diego with a Masters Degree in Special Education (back when they allowed US teachers to work in Canada). Even this expert in special ed lost lesson after lesson with one kid.

Sorry but practicality has to come into play where you say "this kid can't handle it" and "he's a danger to himself and others" and you pull him out.

I teach in Hong Kong. They pull them out.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.