Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Art Dudley - Listening, Nov. 2014

These are magazines and they are about making money first and foremost. There is no reviewer school - Reviewers are audiophiles who may write well enough that some people want to read them. No one at Stereophile is an engineer. Recording Engineers are not engineers and neither is John Atkinson.

And they are the king daddy of the review magazines. And plenty of REAL engineers work at plenty of companies that make entirely different animals so even if people reviewing were engineers I don't think it would much matter.

I think I get what you are saying that reviewers, especially at the big boy magazines where they charge you money to read, should have superior listening environments and controls for bias. But then why bother when you're selling. Sales numbers IS the metric of achievement. The magazines know which reviewers are read the most.

Magazine reviews are a sales tool. That is why manufacturers send us equipment to review. If it didn't help their sales they would not bother.

But it is a huge mistake to think that Art Dudley or John Marks or John Atkinson can HEAR better that most of the audiophiles posting on these boards because they absolutely do NOT. They can turn a phrase better and Art especially is a fun read.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.