Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Been through this before ...

I think a few assumptions are being made.

1) First the reviewer may indeed think the product deserves the rating is valid. I suppose it would be nice if people could at least hold out the possibility.

Indeed, I a bit surprised at the backlash for a $300 product - on the one hand on this forum people are ripping Stereophile for only reviewing froo froo expensive products - then when they rave about affordable stuff they get ripped.

So umm which is it because they can't do both?

2) The recommended component listings are a bit silly - Some of their reviewers "BUY" more expensive stuff from the class B list pile and not from the class A pile (that is cheaper) - umm Class B is often better than class A. Their reviewer's have established this several times!

Fact is all the stuff is recommended that's why they call it the "recommended components list" The fact they give one thing class A or B or C - is the opinion of very few people.

Seriously I don't know why people get so "live and die" on how gear places on their list.

Most of the stuff sounds so different from each other - just compare some class A speakers - you may love one and be totally indifferent to the other.

Nothing is perfect - they give a class A+ to a cheap DAC - who cares. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater if you disagree on the occasional thing.

I disagree with numerous things (and rant I have) but I still think it's a good magazine, entertaining, and offers excellent value. Heck it would be pretty boring if you agreed with them all the time on everything - why bother to read it if that were the case.

Maybe listen to this VDAC thing first before calling for their heads. I dunno but speaking as a generally cheap bastard it would be real nice to get great sound for $299 - it would leave money for me to put elsewhere.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.