Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: It discredits Stereophile's letter grade objectification of subjective reviews, you say?

>"You are otherwise fine with plopping a GPA style rating system on Hi Fi gear?"
That depends. I see no harm in these sort of subjective classifications, so long as certain hard rules intended to promote the integrity of the decision process are applied. Because these ratings are subjective doesn't necessarily condemn product classification to be a haphazard mess. For example, perhaps individual reviewers might be trusted to unilaterally declare some product as Class-C, but maybe it should require at least two reviewers to concur before declaring an Class-B rating, and maybe at least three reviewers should be required to concur before declaring an Class-A rating. This would reduce the probability of human judgement error. Of course, the possibility of subjective error will still exist, but it would be lessened for Class-B, and especially for Class-A. This also should result in much fewer Class-A recommended components than Class-B, and much fewer Class-B recommended components than Class-C. Which is, as it should be.

Don't misunderstand me, should three reviewers agree that some product is Class-A, that doesn't determine my opinion should I happen to hear that product. Likewise, if less than three were to agree, therefore denying a Class-A rating, that doesn't mean I won't feel it to deliver a Class-A type performance. What a good rating might do, however, is encourage me to take the time and effort to audition some product. Which is something that isn't practical to do with every worthy product on the market. I think that most of us seek out an audition based on vendor reputation, or on press review/recommendation, or on fellow audiophile review/recommendation.

>"Why not post about how you are outraged that other more expensive pieces of kit get an A+ when their performance can be rivaled for 300 bucks?"
Because that wasn't the issue I was addressing. If you feel it deserving, then I suggest that you open a thread addressing it.

>"Shouldn't we really be kvetching about how ridiculously over-priced the other A+ rated gear is?"
Again, that wasn't my issue. However, feel free to open a thread and kvetch.

>"If this rating discredits Stereophile's rating system, would that mean that up until now you bought into such a thing?"
It would not necessarily mean that. It also depends on what you mean by, "bought into".

>"Bottom line: Mission accomplished, Stereophile! Here we are, talking about Stereophile!"
I very much doubt that they desire this particular sort of talk about them.

_
Ken Newton

Edits: 03/19/14 03/19/14 03/19/14 03/19/14 03/19/14 03/19/14 03/19/14 03/19/14 03/19/14 03/19/14 03/19/14 03/19/14 03/19/14 03/19/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: It discredits Stereophile's letter grade objectification of subjective reviews, you say? - knewton 12:38:01 03/19/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.