Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Musical Fidelity V90-DAC rating

Hi Ken - John Atkinson explained why they review a lot of Musical Fidelity further down the page. Do a search on Critics forum and use John Atkinson and Musical Fidelity and you will find it. Basically it is a reasonable explanation and helps both Stereophile and MF.

As for class ratings and product of the year ratings - if you read how they come up with it you can laugh at it and then skip the whole thing.

I am sitting here with Stereophile's 2013 Product of the Year loudspeaker and have had them since the middle of December. Great speaker for the money. Class A to me should mean the best of the best. The KEF LS50 is not - it's a great $1500 loudspeaker it does some things exceedingly well. But to suggest that this speaker is better than every speaker in the history of speakers that got class B is ludicrous on every level. But I value scale, dynamics, and excellent treble rendition.

I run side by side comparisons on my second set of speakers $1200 standmoutns designed by Andy Whittle (Rogers Celestion) that have been selling since 2000. Boring box, boring drivers, and while they do some things not as well (bass slam) they're just as good overall. They're not even on the list because no one has heard them. PS the biggest brother won "2013 Product of the Year" in Asia and I've heard them - they utterly trounce the KEF. They trounce everything on Stereophile's list that I have heard and I have heard most of the stuff on their list - granted I only heard some of them at shows - but apparently auditioning something at a show can factor in to them being selected product of the year or given class A (lol).

As for the V-90 DAC - you mean this one - where the reviewer said "lacks excitement" and "far from the last word in outright entertainment" and "not as agile as some"

Which is not to say that the following is any more correct but you'd be better off looking at the Class B stuff Art actually buys than than class A stuff no one wants to own.

Edits: 03/15/14 03/15/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.