Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Musical Fidelity V90-DAC rating

I received my April copy of Stereophile in the mail yesterday. It is one of their semi-annual recommended components issues. As has long been typical of Stereophile, pages are spent reviewing products from Musical Fidelty. Perhaps, someone could explain to me why this always seems to be so?

On page 23, Sam Tellig reports on the $299 Musical Fidelity V90-DAC. Calling this brief report a review would be far too generous. In it, Mr. Tellig spends all of one and a half sentences actually describing the sound of the V90, then summarily declares it to be, 'Class A'. An Class-A rating seems ludicrous enough for a $299 DAC, but then on page 74, the V90 is upgraded to a 'Class-A+' recommended Digital Processor. The next least expensive DAC in that class is $1995, and the most expensive is $28,000. Quite exhaulted company for a $299 DAC to run with.

No, I've not heard the V90, and I certainly know that there is no hard relationship between price and quality, however, the suggestion that any $299 DAC deserves a Class-A+ rating only works to discredit Stereophile's entire rating system. I wonder whether Mr. Tellig's opinion solely formed this rating determination? Perhaps, those members here who've actually heard the V90 would give their opinion of Stereophile's Class-A+ rating?
_
Ken Newton

Edits: 03/15/14 03/15/14 03/15/14 03/15/14 03/15/14 03/15/14 03/15/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Musical Fidelity V90-DAC rating - knewton 10:57:39 03/15/14 (96)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.