Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Why do they record like that????

LOL, see if you can stand behind a player while the grand piano is open. Or just play a glissando up and down on the white keys. That's just swiping the full white scale with a finder. That ample ear-ear spread you hear between the highest and lowest notes is what some engineers try to capture, not always successfully or even properly. Yet, it is just one of several valid perspectives (the pianist's :).

The truth is that the piano is a tough cookie to record properly (and more so when in combination with other instruments in a small ensemble).

There all kinds of approaches and techniques. The pianos also vary themselves, and then there is their response when open, closed, partially opened, etc. They also react to walls that are close by vs open spaces. Experienced engineers also know their distinct personalities and attempt to capture it. So, for example, they may distinguish between different Steinways, Yamahas, Bösendorfers, etc and tweak microphone placements, and even the piano's location accordingly.

Maggies can do some wonderful presentations of pianos captured in various ways. Now, if the engineer aimed for regular and small speakers...oops! Maggies tend to present some piano recordings larger than they intended. It can be delightful but it can also be disconcerting. In most cases I like what I hear.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Why do they record like that???? - JBen 23:16:18 02/19/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.