Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: as far as room tx goes

As I indicated, it is something to do in order to evaluate subjectively the effect of the complex surface of the center console on imaging. It is a decidedly difficult solution as a practical treatment unless it is a TV on a rack/cart, which is a large surface you would have in the room anyway.

I currently use a stack of junk (CDs for the most part) on a cart at the center between and ahead of the mid/tweeter to block reflections off the center racks that are too difficult to move around while I am still experimenting with placement for this particular combo of placement and crossover setup. I took the idea from our discussion some years ago about your using a TV to block unwanted early reflections in the central portion of the front wall (also blocks first reflections)

Apropos this discussion, Josh and I were just talking over his preliminary experiments with creating a RFZ (reflection free zone) using reflectors to divert the first reflection point of the backwave away from the listening area, which produced substantial improvement in spatial performance. The practice is common in design of sound control rooms. It is not practical if you don't have a bare wall behind your speakers. So it isn't workable for me. But it might be useful for others who do have a bare wall to contend with. Ultimately, diffusors would take the place of the reflectors for a more uniform diffusion of the backwave.

I have used diverters before to prevent early reflections from the racks . Those are simply boards placed at the side of the inner edge of the speaker at an angle towards the center of the front wall, so that the backwave does not reach the center rack at all.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.