Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Unicorns (etc)

LOL, you know what, a Unicorn does exist! I've seen it, and so have some guests at home. Ironically, I had more frontal projection years ago than nowadays. To be sure, by this I mean "objects/voices perceived almost solid" standing in front of the plane of the Maggies. (I usually do get surround sound from the sides, behind and even the ceiling...but it is "phantom"...it vanishes if you try to look at it. OTOH, I often get 3D solidity and layering in the huge, deep wall-busting soundstage behind the plane.)

My Unicorn, however, may depend on certain recording techniques interacting in certain room conditions, usually by accident. Let me give an example.

The piece "A Weekend in the Country" from a CD remix of the musical "A Little Night Music" used to bring the Unicorn out in my room strongly. The left MMG projected a singer out over a foot from it. It did become shorter in perceived stature but the singer's voice was otherwise pretty solid. So was another singer, who walks into the stage later and keeps walking further out 3D-projecting close to the center. This one retained her stature all along.

Importantly, most visitors, when asked, could point to the very same locations outside and front of the plane MMGs.

At the very least, two combined factors helped the Unicorn. One was the room's dissimilar corners. The other was a deliberate remixing goal. In order to better represent the performers' movements on theater stage, the master tapes were remixed for enhanced spatial representation. At the hands of Maggies, these two factors yielded special effects of their own. Later, by me fixing the corners, most projection stopped. As a result, the true intent of the remix flows through.

So, these days visitors can still do the same precise pointin. But everything is now in a larger stage behind the plane of the Maggies. The Unicorn does not die. For the most, it simply gains a huge deep field on which to roam while fenced behind the wide plane of the Maggies. And, yes, the darn Unicorn does stick its head out every now and then!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.