Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: 12' soundstage from 10.5' wide room

Norman, Dusty's track sounds here just like you said. She is front & center. In here, that position is comparable to the best of Norah's voice projection - in "Cold Cold Heart" from the CD just discussed. (Interestingly, as in the latter, Dusty's "The Look of Love" has the bass mixed in rather close to center, behind her voice. hmm...)

They may or may not have remastered the track for the box collection that I have but it also has an ample soundstage behind her. It extends from well "inside" the room to my left, to well into my neighbor's apartment of the right. The scant instrumentation is well spread. Given the recording's age, it does not surprise me that this rear imaging is not as "beefy" or stable as in the Norah Jones disk.

That said, it does have some good attributes, and even superior ones. There's some strings and a center-hit cymbal playing, both with rather surprisingly extended and sweet harmonics. In all of Norah's CD, there's nothing as extended into the treble harmonics, at least here. (I do suspect that this was deliberate in Norah's mix. And, of course, the treble may have been "mastered up" in the version of "The Look of Love" that I have.)

Curiously, the sax on the right side is initially kind of shy but, oh boy, it later reenters delightfully strong and textured at the very end. If only my neighbor could hear what just intruded so musically-reedy into his apartment!

Edits: 02/16/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.