Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: as far as room tx goes

Satie, if what you are suggesting to GL is simply that he experiments with this, I agree. I always encourage (in-room) experimentation.

Now, relative to my room and to other rooms I've observed, the reflective stuff is not too worrisome. At least, not when the system is well balanced, like GL's seems to be. In fact, for maximum soundstage & imaging attributes, I have a reflective surface (60%+ of it door glass directly behind + drywall/wood the rest) behind the Maggies. Notably, however, the corners are truncated (about 18" wide) which makes a significant contribution to imaging/soundstage. (So does the glass reflection, although I would not suggest so much of it in most cases).

GL made a comment that I find interesting. In essence, he seems to suspect the current validity of some absorption he placed early on, which may now be robbing imaging after other changes were made. While I believe that his use of floor absorption will still be useful to him, I would agree to be suspicious of the wall carpets now. In this sense, I would remove them for observation. Then, he could try to truncate the corners experimentally. [In my case, flimsy Styrofoam failed to do the trick...heavier drywall, particle board or plywood did. Perhaps this (see bottom) which I just bought at Home Depot for tests later on, could do without breaking backs, or banks.]

Now, to your other important point -- that of test-placing something flat in the null area between the Maggies. For now, I'll leave out the "technical reasons" for agreeing that it should be tried. I simply wish more people did.

To this day, it is the combination of truncated corners and the flat TV between the Maggies, plus judicious amounts of reflection at the back, which contributes the most to salient imaging features in my room. There are other factors, to be sure. However, after trying the same type of approach in other rooms along the years, similar imaging trends appear with other dipoles and gear.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.