Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Do you have any data?

I can measure in the next room from where I am typing now, harmonic or IM distortion to 1 part in 1 million or -120dB down. I CONSTANTLY measure higher order ODD harmonic distortion in solid state designs, INCLUDING MY OWN, that is virtually absent in vacuum tube designs. Why? How? IF you actually studied tube design, you would find that it has several advantages over solid state design. The tube input impedance is more linear as well as its transfer conductance. Standing alone, a tube outshines ANY fet or bipolar transistor in distortion, especially when it is weighted as to how the ear actually hears.
The limitations in tube design keeps it expensive to make, relatively low power, subject to compromising added parts to make the circuit work, such as caps and transformers, and limited noise performance. However, outstanding examples of tube design going back 50 years, will still outshine 90% of all solid state design made today. This is similar to having a Mercedes Benz 'Gullwing' coupe outperforming 90% of autos today,

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.