Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Solid State.

Hi Dan,

I have used software to add a tube-like quality to solid state as well (Ozone does a nice job tweaking bass, compression, sparkle, and other attributes and the old version was specifically designed to mimic tubes). It did work to add a more musical feel to the music.

I wish I could explain better why I like tubes more, but I do know it has nothing to do with prestige or a desire to own an antique.

The best way I can describe my subjective observation is that the tubes sound less sterile and mechanical and the emotional aspects of the music are conveyed more clearer. For jazz at least they seem to have more swing,nuance, and harmonic overtones seem enhanced.

On the other hand I do find solid state seems somehow more transparent and detailed, and dynamics are more crisply defined.

I wish I could have the best of both, and lacking objective measures I sometimes wonder how much of what I am hearing is just a subjective bias.

Regards,
Lynn

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.