Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Steve, how was the signal fed to the Olson dual voice coil?

Steve,

How was the signal fed to the Olson dual voice coil? Was it used like the Watkins woofer, where the second voice coil would kick in at the point where response started to fall off, thus assisting the first voice coil and extending the low end? Or were the two voice coils used to create a sort of servo for tighter control of driver, etc.?

I'm asking because Mr. Sano's Exact drivers -- at least the later ones -- all used dual voice coils (actually it's a bifilar winding so at first glance it appears to to be a single coil, until you notice that there are four leads) and he used them in conjunction with a passive circuit that not only extended the bass but enhanced the treble as well. Feastrex dropped that approach and went back to a conventional single voice coil, because they felt the gains achieved by Mr. Sano's approach came at the cost of imparting the "sonic signature" (or "veiling effects") of the passive components, somewhat akin to what one tends to get with passive crossover components in a multiway loudspeaker (versus using an electronic crossover or just a single driver).

Feastrex is getting good results with their conventional approach, but I often wonder if maybe it wouldn't be worth going back and taking another look at dual voice coils in a fullrange driver. Not necessarily the way Sano used them, but perhaps the way Olson used them. I'm quite curious to find out exactly what Olson had them doing.

When Feastrex parted ways with Mr. Sano, it was definitely the right decision for them to drop the dual voice coils. They were going through the "reinventing the wheel" process that every transducer-building acolyte has to go through, and eliminating that variable probably made their life a lot simpler. But now that they have thoroughly debugged their initial product line, as soon as their balance sheet stabilizes I hope they'll go back and take a second look at that. As you know well Steve, there are too many gems that have been consigned to technology's trash heap without good reason!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.