Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Double loaders...

Hi Steve

The rareness of the theater version of the double loader speaks to the power of the Altec monopoly which you described so well in your legendary presentation at MAF '03. I recall you mentioning the monitors before. It's interesting how they seem to depart from the patent in the size of the connecting holes. Olson never mentioned anything about customizing the cabinets to a particular driver, something which is almost second nature to us today. Maybe this is the reason for the variations in the hole sizes in your monitors. I did a sketch of the backloader version scaled up to accomodate a 15'er for John K.. I also did a second sketch with a larger bass horn mouth and a somewhat different top manifold section. In the second sketch I made the holes larger (almost as a reflex), with the idea that they should be adjustable, but I did'nt give it any more thought untill these latest threads. I was fixated on area 27, the back/front chamber, We now usually evaluate this chamber solely in how it effects the highs, but Olson concieved it as having both acoustic capacitance and inductance, which becomes more important in a double loader. Olson also investigated multiple chambers connected in series in his Dynamical Analogies book which has recently become available as a download on the net (thanks for the link Freddiy!). It's interesting trying to probe the mind of the master.

Thanks for your input.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.