Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Back-loading a Front-loaded horn?

Just wondering (I know, I know, I should be working:-) but is it possible to build a back-loaded horn to take advantage of the back-wave of the driver used in a FLH?

You could choose a coupling chamber for the BLH to roll off the output at the same point the FLH kicks in. And you could set this point at the same width (I'm assuming a rectangular mouth on the BLH) that the baffle step takes effect. Then all you would have to do would be to ensure that the entire length of the 2 horns (plus coupling chamber) is 1½ (or 2½) times the wavelength at the 'crossover" point.

Simple, right? There's got to be a catch.

Asking as I've got a pair of round hole basket Coral FE103's that would work in such a configuration - if it's possible.

Has anyone done this, or is there info somewhere out there? I don't actually know what to search for - at least, nothing is coming up when I do a search.

Cloth

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Back-loading a Front-loaded horn? - Cloth Ears (Melb) 17:53:20 02/05/07 (25)

You can not post to an archived thread.