Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Double loaders...

J.

I'm glad to see you're planing ahead for a lo-Z WAF design. Making the BLH with curved walls certainly won't hurt anything, and I salute your wood working skills and dedication.

Olson's patent (as other patents I have read via the new google search engine) is rather light on the practical details of how to make a functional device, and long on covering all the bases of how the patent could possibly be applied. So he shows you how the magic trick was done, but not necessarily how a competitor could duplicate the device. So it's DIY R&D. Olson does illustrate an electrical analogous circuit diagram of the double horn, but he does not establish any definite acoustical perameters for this, as did Keele and Leach in the late 70's. I don't quite understand what you imply, that the top manifold section (with it's restricted termination to the lower chamber) is a resonant system and part of the design. Several factors lean against this. One is that the top manifold is an expansion, and the sound waves should proceed from an area of high pressure (the throat) to an area of lower pressure (the larger chamber where they will mix below the top manifold). This is in addition to the fact that the length of the chambers is too short to acomplish anything in the context of the bass horn. If the chambers are about 24" long (asuming the scale of an 8" driver) they would theoreticaly resonate at over 500 Hz. Olson showed frequecy response graphs of this design in his Acoustical Engineering book, and the bass horn does'nt go over 200 Hz. Olson does reference prior "...loudspeakers of the compound type..." and claims his design is an improvement, though no specific prior designs are mentioned. Anyway, it's good to see others attempting a double loader.

Let us know how it goes!

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.